• facebook icon
  • instagram icon
  • flickr icon
  • youtube icon
  • twitter icon

History of the MWSOLGL and Queen Adah Grand Chapter Order of the Eastern Star

The Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge

Grand Lodge Symbol

The Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. Jurisdiction of California was organized and founded on April 10, 1943 at 652 Fourth Street, San Francisco, CA in the New Washington Hotel. Rev. Joseph S. Pough was the President of the organization.

After instituting three Lodges; Sons of Light #444 (being granted a Charter from the Most Worshipful United Grand Lodge of the State Florida); Rising Star Lodge #412 (being granted a Charter from the Most Worshipful King David Grand Lodge State of Mississippi); and Orange Grove Lodge #138 (being granted a Charter from the Most Worshipful King Solomon Grand Lodge District of Columbia); Rev. Joseph Samuell Pough (Grand Master); Rev. F.B. Banks (Deputy Grand Master); Walter Bennett (Grand Senior Warden); Charles Herman Ward (Grand Junior Warden); J.L. Pugh (Grand Secretary); and Duffy Robinson (Grand Treasurer) established and incorporated the Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. Jurisdiction of California on October 21, 1943.

Rev. Joseph Samuell Pough became Grand Master of the Jurisdiction with a total of twenty five members. On July 10, 1943 the Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. moved to 1433 Divisadero Street. The Grand Master began to layout his work on the Trestle Board for a foundation on which the Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. would exist for generations to come.

The Grand Lodge became members of the Original General Grand Masonic Congress of Grand Masters and its affiliated bodies, ie: the Supreme Council of Sovereign Grand Inspectors General for the 33° and last degree of Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Freemasonry and the Imperial Grand Council Ancient Arabic Order of the Mystic Shrine.

Since its inception The Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. has had only five Grand Masters:

  1. Hon. Rev. Joseph Samuell Pough 33° (Founder)
  2. Hon. Frank J. Bobo 33° (Forever)
  3. Hon. Nulan Byrd 33° (1990 - 1992)
  4. Hon. Barney E. Watkins 33° (1992 - 2010)
  5. Hon. Floyd C. McMillan 33° (2010 - Present)

2013-2014 Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge Officers

ELECTED OFFICERS
Most Worshipful Grand Master Honorable Floyd C. McMillan, 33°
Right Worshipful Deputy Grand Master Bro. W.R. Hackney, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Senior Warden Bro. Omar Scaife, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Junior Warden Bro. Erique Tillman, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Treasurer Bro. Henry Washington, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Secretary Bro. Bill Thomas, 33°
APPOINTED OFFICERS
7th Man of the Board Bro. James Porter, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Senior Deacon Bro. Darryl Alexander
Right Worshipful Grand Junior Deacon Bro. Henry L. Washington, Sr.
Right Worshipful Grand Senior Stewart Bro. Freddie Paul
Right Worshipful Grand Junior Stewart Bro. Lavert Maxie
Right Worshipful Grand Inside Tyler Bro. Sherman Wilson
Right Worshipful Grand Outside Tyler Bro. Kevin Rachal
Right Worshipful Grand Recording Secretary (A) Bro. Vinson Boyce
Right Worshipful Grand Recording Secretary (B) Bro. Edmund Johnson
Right Worshipful Grand Chaplain (A) Bro. Vinson Boyce
Right Worshipful Grand Chaplain (B) Rev. Bro. Charles Alfred
Right Worshipful Grand Chaplain (C) Minister Lloyd Brumfield
Right Worshipful Grand Chaplain (D) Minister Bruce Pettway
Right Worshipful Grand Ambassador Bro. Will Yancy, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Marshall (A) Bro. John Pryor
Right Worshipful Grand Marshall (B) Bro. Eric Gilbert
Right Worshipful Grand Marshall (C) Bro. Johnny Green
Right Worshipful Grand Parliamentarian Bro. Thomas Stewart, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Chancellor Bro. Richard Hickman
Right Worshipful Grand Bible Bearer Bro. Julius Jenkins, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Standard Bearer Bro. Leroy Wise, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Registrar Bro. Bill Thomas, 33°
Right Worshipful Grand Lecturer Bro. Luther Terrell
Right Worshipful Grand Lecturer Bro. James Porter
Right Worshipful Grand Associate Patron Bro. Willie McIntrye, Sr., 33°
Past / Emeritus Grand Masters
Most Worshipful Grand Master Emeritus Hon. Barney E. Watkins, 33°

Queen Adah Grand Chapter Order of the Eastern Star (1943-2013)

Grand Chapter OES Symbol

To everything there is a beginning. Before Queen Adah was born we must began with the Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge, the Grand Lodge of which Queen Adah is adopted under.

The Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge, A. F. & A.M., Inc. was organized in the year of 1942, at the Washington Hotel, 652 Fourth Street, on the 2nd floor - room 12, at the corner of Bluxome Street in San Francisco, California. They were set up with three Subordinate Lodges under warrant. They were Rising Star #412, Orange Grove #138 and Sons of Light #444. The Honorable Joseph Samuel Nathaniel Pough 33° was the first Grand Master. Rev. F. B. Banks was elected as the Deputy Grand Master. He was also the first Grand Patron of Queen Adah Grand Chapter.

Queen Adah Grand Chapter was organized July 10, 1943 with three Chapters. They were: Queen Ethiopia #20; Lily of the Valley #12 (both of San Francisco) and Pride of Oakland #17 (Oakland) working under Most Worshipful Sons of Light Grand Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Inc. Honored Joseph S. Pough, 33°, Grand Master. Sister Grace Pough was the 1ST Grand Matron.

The first headquarters office was located at 2031 Bush Street, San Francisco, California. The Grand Lodge moved from Bush Street to 1433 Divisadero Street. They relocated to 1726 Fillmore Street in the old Temple Theater, which was the first building that the Grand Lodge purchased, both located in San Francisco, California. Once again the Grand Lodge office moved to 848 Cole Street, after which they moved to 1837 Alcatraz Ave. in the city of Berkeley. In the year 2006, the Grand headquarters, sold the Berkeley Hall and moved to the Richmond Hall, 1701 Truman St., Richmond, California. The Eastern Stars also held their meetings in these buildings.

Sister Pough made many accomplishments during her reign as Grand Matron. She purchased property for Queen Adah on Sutter Street; an apartment building at Scott and Page Streets; a Youth Center on Post Street and the California Scottish Rite Temple on Geary Street in San Francisco. She also set up the Affiliated Degrees of the Grand Nurses Unit; Grand Queen of the South Palace; Grand Matron's Council, etc. Grand Matron Pough was instrumental in having Queen Adah Grand Chapter incorporated with the State of California, June 29, 1951. She organized a Youth Field in 1958 that grew to 400 youth. She organized the Queen Adah Choir. She also established a scholarship fund.

At the time of her death in 1965, Queen Adah had grown to 125 Chapters in California and Nevada with a membership of 4000. Sister Pough served for twenty-two years.

The leadership continued under the 2nd Grand Matron, Sister Thelma Scott, who came into office in 1965. She served most of her term under Grand Master Frank J. Bobo, who was elected Grand Master in the year 1966 in Las Vegas, Nevada, after the death of Grand Master Pough. That same year Grand Master, Bobo appointed Bro. James Burks as the Grand Patron of Queen Adah Grand Chapter Grand Matron Scott laid the groundwork for the Queen Adah Grand Chapter now housed at 1390 Turk Street. Queen Adah is the sponsoring body for Royal Adah Arms, which consist of 142 subsidized housing units for low-income seniors in the same building, on the opposite side of the building at 1240 Turk Street. This building is under HUD (Housing and Urban Development). This building was dedicated June 9, 1974. Sister Thelma Scott passed away in 1979. She served 14 years.

After the death of Sister Thelma Scott, Sister Grace L. Harvey served out the term. She was elected Grand Matron in October 1980 3rd Grand Matron. Sister Harvey served under three Grand Masters; Hon. Frank J. Bobo 33º, who passed December 15, 1991 (not in office); Hon. Nuland Byrd 33°, who passed December 1, 1990 (while in office). She served until October 1994. Sister Harvey passed at our 55th Grand Session, October 31, 1997 at the Double Tree Hotel in Bakersfield, California. She served 14 years. Our present Grand Master, Hon. Barney E. Watkins 33° was elected October 1992.

Our 4th Grand Matron was Sister Ruby Brewer; she served for one year, from 1994-1995. She served under Hon. Barney E. Watkins 33°.

Our 5th Grand Matron was Sister Shirley Williams. She was elected October 1995. She served under Hon. Barney E. Watkins 33º. She stepped down in October 2004 at Grand Session. She was given the honored title of Grand Matron Emeritus. She was the first Grand Matron in the history of Queen Adah to step down and to receive the Emeritus title. She served nine years.

Our 6th Grand Matron was Sister Dorothy Simmons who was elected in October 2004. She served from October 2004-October 2006, under Hon. Barney E. Watkins 33°. She served two years.

Our 7th Grand Matron Sis. Shirley Williams was re-elected October 2006 under Hon. Barney E. Watkins 33°. She served from 2006-2010 (4 years)

On October 2010, Grand Master Barney E. Watkins 33° stepped down and became the first Grand Master Emeritus in our jurisdiction.

On October 18, 2010, Hon. Floyd McMillan 33° was elected Grand Master and serves as Grand Patron of Queen Adah Grand Chapter

October 2010, Sis. Shirley Williams stepped down and nominated Sis. Brenda Ratcliffe-Graham.

Our 8th Grand Matron, Sis. Brenda Ratcliffe-Graham was elected Grand Worthy Matron October 18, 2010 and is still serving.

Submitted July 5, 2013
Sis. Brenda Ratcliffe-Graham
Grand Worthy Matron